Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Confession is good for the Soul!!!!

So, many of you (the three of you who actually read my blog) know that I have been doing a study on Psalms. This morning I was reading 38. The words, "I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin." This morning, I spent time meditating on confession. I see my sin in abundance, but lacking ever more is my confession! I must have believed confession does nothing, for to see my lack of it, reveals the reality of my belief, that it is not important. But, I must say, God's grace revealed otherwise this morning.

Charles Spurgeon says it like this: "... the accusations of his conscience he admits. Open confession is good for the soul. When sorrow leads to hearty and penitent acknowledgment of sin it is blessed sorrow, a thing to thank God for most devoutly. My confession shall be salted with briny tears. It is well not so much to bewail our sorrows as to denounce the sins which lie at the root of them. To be sorry for sin is no atonement for it, but it is the'right spirit in which to repair to Jesus, who is the reconciliation and the Saviour. A man is near to the end of his trouble when he comes to an end with his sins."

"It is well not so much to bewail our sorrows as to denounce the sins which lie at the root of them." Wow!!! This is a revolutionary statement for me! I don't need to mourn over the fact that I have spent this whole week complaining. That my sin is too great, and just wallow in it. No, he has called me to search out the depths of my heart to find the root of the sin, confess it, and proclaim God's salvation through Christ!!! God has rescued me from my sin! He has overcome through the blood of Jesus!

He says in I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins, and purify us from all unrighteousness. "

I think that by getting the root, confessing, and claiming Christ, God uses that to make me more like him! "Confession is not atonement", as Spurgeon puts it, but is sanctification, and is "good for the soul."

So, in this season of my life, though the sorrow is many, and sin abounds, I shall call this season blessed, because it brings me ever to my Saviour! Praise Him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment