Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Being wise at home

So, this morning as I sat on the floor with papers scattered about trying to file our life into categories; electric bills, pay check stubs, doctor bills and so on, I found myself stuck in an abyss of TV. I normally don't watch TV during the day, other than the occasional lunch time "What not to Wear". Today, though, I decided to indulge myself while I was filing papers, as if it counteracted the indulgence somehow.

So, my conclusion from today: TV= the world wrapped up in a box. If you want a big dose of the world, just find your remote, turn it on and watch!

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to throw away your TV. I will still watch it, and one of my husband and my favorite things to do is watch a good show together!

I am asking you to reevaluate this; Are you building your house or tearing it down? Proverbs 14:1 says, "The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her hands tears it down."

What kind of house are you building? One of serving, love, humility...? Or one of self indulgence, self-pity, anger... The things we allow to pour into our minds will either build or tear down. There is nothing in the middle, nothing that is neutral!

I don't think God calls us to be so legalistic or condemned, but I do think this is something to question, something to think about, and, also an opportunity to practice grace when we fall short. An opportunity for the gospel!! For in the gospel we see ourselves there amongst the world, living foolishly disobedient lives. But, God in his mercy saved us, called us blameless! God says, "Not that you chose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you may Go!" God chose me while I was still an enemy of him! Now, I am called to take this gospel to the foolish and disobedient world!


1 comment:

  1. Katie! Thanks for the truth- I am finding myself having a hard time in the grace part of the gospel for believers.. Thanks again for always being so open with your life!!

    P.S I love the new blog layout!!

    ReplyDelete